Screen Name: Jeffrey Helsdon
Overview: Jeffrey P. Helsdon is a lawyer in University Place, Washington whose practice is primarily real estate and commercial transactions. Mr. Helsdon has accommodated tax-free exchanges of real estate under Section 1031 for 18 years.
Biography: Precise and focused. Jeff was born in Evanston, Illinois and raised in Kansas City. Jeff truly likes to help people and he has the skills and talents to do that.
After receiving a Political Science degree from the University of Washington, Jeff worked his way through UPS Law School and received his J.D. degree in 1987. Jeff is now a Gig Harbor resident with his wife Cheri and two children. They are a family involved in the breeding and showing of dogs. He and his wife Cheri bred and own Ch. Juris Material Witness, the number 15 ranked Doberman Pinscher in the United States last year. Jeff is on the Board of Directors of the Doberman Pinscher Club of America.
Jeff is committed to precision and knowledge in his law practice. Jeff practices in the areas of real estate and business and has been a Qualified Intermediary for real estate investment exchanges under § 1031 of the IRS Code for over 16 years. He is the first Certified Exchange Specialist® in South Puget Sound; so recognized by the Federation of Exchange Accommodators.
Admitted to Washington Bar 1987; U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington and U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit.
Education: University of Washington, (B.A. 1984); University of Puget Sound, (J.D. 1987).
Member: Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association; Washington State Bar Association (Member Real Property, Probate and Trust Section and Tax Section); Federal Bar Association and American Bar Association (Member Real Property, Probate and Trust Section and Tax Section); Federation of Exchange Accommodators.
Reported Cases: Tri-State Development, Ltd. v. Johnston, 160 F.3d 528 (9th Cir. 1998) which held that the Washington pre-judgment attachment statute, allowing attachment of real property without prior notice to the owner, was unconstitutional as applied.
Areas of Practice: Real estate law, commercial law, corporate law, business law, probate, estate planning, tax law, construction law, contract law, § 1031 Exchanges.
Areas of Practice:
* Real Estate Transactions & Litigation
* Section 1031 Exchanges
* Business and Corporate Structure, Transactions & Litigation
* Probate and Estate Planning
Litigation as a Percentage of Practice: 33%
* Washington, 1987
* U.S. District Court Western District of Washington, 1990
* U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1998
* J.D., 1987, University of Puget Sound School of Law, Tacoma, WA
* B.A., 1984, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Professional Associations and Memberships:
* Member, Washington Bar Association, Section on Real Property, Probate and Trusts
* Member, Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association
* Member, Federal Bar Association
* Member, American Bar Association, Section on Real Property, Probate and Trusts and Section on Taxation
* Member, Tacoma Pierce County Association of Realtors, Affiliate Member
* Member, Federation of Exchange Accomodators
* Certified Exchange Specialist, Federation of Exchange Accommodators
Other Associations and Memberships:
* Vestry Member, St. John's Episcopal Church, Gig Harbor, WA
* Convention Delegate, Olympia Diocese of Episcopal Church of the United States
* Director, Doberman Pinscher Club of America
* Legislative Director, Doberman Pinscher Club of America
* Legislative Director, Seattle Kennel Club
Personal Information: Mr. Helsdon was born March 12, 1960 in Evanston, Illinois. He and his wife Cheri, a veterinary technician, make their home in Gig Harbor, WA with their son Jason, a junior at Bellarmine Preparatory School. Their daughter Darcie is a 2005 graduate of Central Washington University in Ellensburg, Washington.
Jeff and Cheri are active in their parish, St. John's in Gig Harbor, WA, where Cheri is a past-Senior Warden and Jeff serves as a Delegate to the Olumpia Diocesan Convention, Eucharistic Minister and Lay Reader and is on the Vestry.
Jeff and Cheri breed and show Doberman Pinschers and Pembroke Welsh Corgis. They are very active in the Doberman Pinscher Club of America.
Jeff is the first Certified Exchange Specialist ® in South Puget Sound, Washington, receiving that distinguished designation from the Federation of Exchange Accommodators. In that capacity, he facilitates exchanges of property under Section 1031 of the Internal Revenue Code.
Jeff Helsdon is certified by the State of Washington to teach clock-hour classes to Realtors in the areas of Real Estate Law, Taxation, Real Estate Finance, and Real Estate Trends.